The event will be in Icelandic
The annual conference of the Institute of International Affairs at the University of Iceland, the Nordic House and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, in collaboration with the Association of Political Scientists, the Institute of Public Administration and Politics and the West Nordic Council, will be held in the Nordic House on Wednesday 16 June.
This year, as in previous years, we offer a dialogue in which we examine international issues and challenges that we face in the international community. We promise lively and informative discussions.
Moderator of the day: Pia Hansson, Director of the Institute of International Affairs, University of Iceland.
09:00 – 09:10: Opening of the Conference:
Sabina Westerholm, Director of the Nordic House
Jón Atli Benediktsson, Rector of the University of Iceland
09:10-09:20 Opening Address:
Guðlaugur Þór Þórðarson, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Development Cooperation
09:20 – 10:15: International Cooperation in times of a Pandemic
Lecture: Þórlindur Kjartansson, economist and columnist.
• Sigríður Á. Andersen, Member of Parliament for the Independence Party and Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee
• Rósa Björk Brynjólfsdóttir, member of Parliament for Samfylkingin
• Finnur Dellsén, Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Iceland
• Gylfi Magnússon, Professor at the University of Iceland
Moderator: Þórður Snær Júlíusson, editor of Kjarninn.
10:15 – 10:30 Coffee break
10:30 – 11:30: False News in the Nordic Countries: The Fight Against Information Chaos
Presentation: Morten Langfeldt Dahlback, journalist at the fact-finding agency Faktisk.no
• Jón Gunnar Ólafsson, PhD at the Faculty of Political Science, University of Iceland
• Silja Dögg Gunnarsdóttir, Member of Parliament for the Progressive Party and Chair of the Icelandic Delegation of the Nordic Council
• Guðrún Hálfdánardóttir, journalist
• Skúli B. Geirdal, Project Manager at the Media Committee
Moderator: Sigurður Ólafsson, Political Scientist
11:30 – 12:00 Lunch
12:00 – 12:50 International Cooperation and Foreign Affairs – where is Iceland heading?
Panel discussions with the chairmen and representatives of the political parties in the run-up to the election.
• Bjarni Benediktsson, Minister of Finance and Economy and Chairperson of the Independence Party
• Inga Sæland, Chairperson of the People’s Party
• Jón Steindór Valdimarsson, member of Parliament for Viðreisn
• Katrín Jakobsdóttir, Prime Minister and Chairperson of the Left-Green Movement
• Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson, Chairperson of the Center Party
• Silja Dögg Gunnarsdóttir, Member of Parliament for the Progressive Party
• Þórhildur Sunna Ævarsdóttir, Deputy Chairperson of Píratar
Moderator: Þórir Guðmundsson, editor of Vísir, Stöð 2 and Bylgjan.
12:50 – 13:00: Coffee break
13:00 – 13:50: Iceland and International Cooperation: Looking to the Future.
Lecture: Silja Bára Ómarsdóttir, Professor of International Relations at the Faculty of Political Science, University of Iceland
• Bergur Ebbi, lecturer and author
• Bryndís Haraldsdóttir, Member of Parliament for the Independence Party
• Kári Hólmar Ragnarsson, Assistant professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Iceland
• Aðalbjörg Egilsdóttir, Iceland’s Youth Representative to the United Nations
• Bergþóra Halldórsdottir, International Lawyer
Moderator: Sveinn H Guðmarsson, Head of the Information and Analysis Department at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs
13:50 – 14:00: Closing remarks by Guðni Th. Jóhannesson, President of Iceland
Due to infection control rules, guests are kindly asked to register their attendance at the seminar including name, ID number and email address here: http://forms.gle/vV2YdTcYzioCq6FB9