Conference on the circumcision of boys – Inter Faith Forum of Iceland
The Inter Faith Forum of Iceland, an informal group of 17 religious organizations registered in Iceland for the promotion of inter religious dialogue, organizes a conference to be held at the Nordic House on Tuesday April 17th from 13:00 to 17:00. The topic of discussion is the circumcision of boys. Prominent speakers from Iceland and abroad representing the local political arena and the Jewish and Muslim local and worldwide communities will participate. There will be representatives from other religions and members of the medical profession.
The circumcision of boys has become a highly contested issue after 7 members of the Icelandic Parliament recently presented a bill criminalizing the circumcision of boys with the penalty of up to six years imprisonment.
The conference aims to give to the interested parties involved an opportunity to listen to each other and express publically their opinion and concerns with due regard to human rights and freedom of religion.
The conference will be held in English and is open to everyone.
Moderator of the conference: Margrét Steinarsdóttir, Director of the Icelandic Human Rights Centre
List of speakers:
- Dr. Ólafur Þór Gunnarsson MD, Member of the Parliament of Iceland, Co-Sponsor of the bill on bann of circumcision
- Salvör Nordal, Children’s Ombudsman of Iceland
- Rabbi Moche Lewin, Vice-President of the European Conference of Rabbis (on behalf of Chief Rabbi Albert Guigui from the World Jewish Congress)
- Mr. Yaron Nadbornik, President of the Council of Jewish Congregations in Finland, representing the Nordic Jewish Communities’ Council of Presidents
- Rabbi Ute Steyer, representing the Jewish Community of Sweden
- Mr. Jonathan Arkush, President of the Board of Deputies of British Jews
- Adam Anbari, representing the Islamic Foundation of Iceland
- Imam Ahmad Seddeeq, representing the Islamic Cultural Center of Iceland
- Chief Imam Sayed Ali Abbas Razawi, representing the Scottish Ahlul Bayt Society
- Mr. Atik Ali, President of the Islam Congregation of Finland, representing Finland’s Muslim Network
- Dr. Baldur Tumi Baldursson, Chief Medical Doctor in skin and venereal desease at the National Hospital, Reykjavík
- Ty B. Ericksson, MD FACOG FPMRS Obstetrician/Gynecologist Pelvic Reconstructive Surgeon. USA
- Prof. Dr. Bernard Lobel, Urologist, former Chief Doctor at the hospital of Rennes
- Fr. Heikki Huttunen, General Secretary of CEC (Conference of European Churches)
- Dr. Elizabeta Kitanovic, Human Rights Executive Secretary of CEC
- Mgr. Duarte da Cunha, General Secretary of CCEE (Council of Bishops’ Conferences of Europe)